IT’S CLOSING DAY! It’s closing day! That house (this one) is officially mine today which is beyond absurd. I can’t believe I’m a home owner.
I’m currently living in a sea of cardboard so I’m pretty stoked to get this show on the road. Moving has got to be the worst activity in the world. It’ll be nice to have cooking utensils again. I had the foresight to keep a set of flatware, a plate and a bowl out but only realized a spatula (among other things) might be helpful after I’d poured a pancake onto the grill. I nailed the first pan-flip but I think it went to my head (I may have brushed my shoulders off even though no one was looking). The rest of the jacks turned into something more of a mush. Still delish though – have you tried this recipe yet?
The only thing I do love about living in a packed up place is that it can sometimes feel like camping. I flipped my bed around to the other wall for basically no reason and the new perspective is kind of fun!
The other day I stumbled across this seriously timely article and it (obviously) resonated. About 4 years ago when I wrote my very first set of goals I declared that I wanted to buy a house (with my supposed fiance) in 2016. About 2 years ago I scrapped it because I didn’t think it would be possible financially or romantically. [NOTE: This is exactly what you’re NOT supposed to do with your goals. Bad, Allessia, Bad.] Regardless, here I am picking up the keys to my place and hey, I did it 2 years sooner and without a ring on my finger. I wonder if at the time I just thought it wasn’t something I could do on my own or if I just liked the idea of doing it with someone?
Now, I don’t want to get all “The Secret” and preachy on you but time and time again the power of goal-setting has proved itself to me and it just feels wrong and stingy to not scream it from the rooftops. Just go write down some goals, would-ya?
Okay – lecture over.
I’m going to post some photos of the house soon but the next few weeks are going to be INSANE. Also I warned you about the 80s kitchen right? OK, awesome – just wanted to make sure we were clear.
HAVE I MENTIONED that life has been crazy? Like whoa. I have a lot of really exciting (and high-five worthy) things going on these days but boy does it really tucker you out. I just realized as I was putting together this post that it’s been over a month since my last H5FF! Not acceptable friends. I’ll do better. For now, here’s what made this week #awesome:
1. I MOVED! (okay I promise this is the last time I will tell you that I have moved) But it was a big deal. And more important than the moving was realizing the incredible support I have from my friends here in Van. I actually cannot even begin to repay all the peeps who played a part in making my move manageable. From physical man power (check out those guns above) to lending me dollies/trucks to baking moving muffins I am so so so so so grateful to have such awesome people in my life. photo credit: @alexisfinlay via @michelinateti
2. Extremely well-deserved (and most def not on the crazy sexy cleanse) post-move celebratory margaritas. We carried a box-spring up 5 flights of stairs. This was necessary.
3. New view on my walk to work. Need I say more?
4. My volleyball team is way more fun than your volleyball team. So excited that the season has kicked off and that I have a great group of people to enjoy the beach with. photo credit: @tifffanyandco
5. Did I mention the whirlwind I’ve been in? Last night I managed to find one hour to sit on my couch (for the first time since it arrived on Monday) and watch last weeks episode of Mad Men. I needed this down-town real bad.
Whatchya got planned for the weekend?
OMG I’M SO excited/relieved/thrilled to announce to the world that my new apartment is officially white. No more stupid-out-dated-mom-living-room green colour can be found in my place. Oh no, It’s simple and bright and beautiful white. Cloud White to be exact. I realize this probably isn’t the most exciting news/post to any of you (aside from maybe my mom because she’ll no longer have to hear me complain about it) but I seriously feel like a huge weight has been lifted off and I’m actually excited to move in rather than the dread I was experiencing before.
So hurray for me and for Cloud White! And no silly, I’m not going to reveal the place to you just yet.. but here’s a sneak peak of my bedroom door knob which is all kinds of adorable, no?